Windows operating system is widely used by people across the whole world for every kind of computation. As a frequent user of this operating system, you may face several technical issues. You don’t need to be a technically qualified person for solving these problems because most of the solutions can be easily availed on the internet. One of the randomly occurred errors in this operating system is Windows cannot find gpedit msc. This problem occurs in home editions of all versions of Windows.
Gpedit.msc is defined as group policy editor, which isan important tool to customize the settings of your PC. It enables you to make new changes in Windows settings through tweaking. Sometimes, after changing the settings, Windows fails to implement them successfully due to many reasons. To eliminate the error on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10, you need to install third party group policy editor. By default, this feature is available in professional, ultimate and enterprise editions only. In this article, a list of solutions for this error is available here that you can read and follow.
In a nutshell
How to Solve Windows cannot Find gpedit.msc Problem?
To solve the issue of Windows cannot find gpedit.msc, various methods can be implemented. The best option, in this case, is using some third party software which can configure the default settings of Windows.
What is Group Policy Editor?
The group policy editor is a graphical user interface in which you can edit registry entries. These entries can also be modified manually one by one, but this process is very time consuming and also complicated. That is why; the group policy editor tools are invented to simplify your task. If Windows cannot find gpedit.msc 8.1 it is imperative to reinstall the software. Group policy is a very powerful function of Windows in which you can define the accessibility of applications, folders, and files for all the users. As being an administrator, you have the power to create limits for certain users. Microsoft doesn’t add this customization feature in a home edition of Windows because it is useful at enterprise level only.
Also Read:- How to Solve DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN Error?
Follow these steps to open group policy editor in your
Windows 7 – Press Windows button to open the start menu where you need to enter “gpedit.msc” and press enter.
Windows 8/ 8.1 – Press Windows key + R alphabet that will open run box. Type “gpedit.msc” and press enter to execute.
The Significant Uses of Group Policy Editor
As it is clear that group policy editor is a very useful tool for customization of PC settings, now it’s time to know about the uses.
- It helps in defending the computer from the attack of password cracking software which can quickly obtain natural passwords combinations. The problem may occur in securing your PC if the Windows cannot find gpedit.msc in Windows 10 or any previous version. In that case, you need to reinstall the application.
- With group policy editor, you can secure the browser so that one can attack with malicious files while using the internet.
- You can restrict the access to control panel so that no one can customize the settings until you give privilege. The access can be customized as the full restriction or partial ban.
- Command prompt restriction is also possible with the help of group policy editor. Anyone can add malicious commands to your computer. As a result, it may not work properly. If Windows display error message on trying to open group policy editor, you can repair it by using some methods that are mentioned below. But placing restriction to command prompt means it will also not run during batch files execution.
- The group policy editor enables you to disable the automatic driver’s updates. This function provides you full control over allowing the updated to install in the computer automatically or manually.
- Devices like pen drives and SD card readers are main reasons of data compromising issue. One can easily attach them to your system and stole any information. The group policy editor has the capability to restrict any external storage device so that you PC or laptop will not affect viruses and malware.
- Anyone can install malicious software to the computer in your absence. Some of these applications steal your valuable information such as credit card details or passwords of various websites. If you cannot find group policy editor on Windows 8, then follow the procedure as explained in this article. The useless software can slow down your PC, so you can use this powerful tool to restrict others from installing any unwanted software.
- Windows displays many annoying balloons of notifications which are utterly worthless. While working on a particular project, a popup of these types of notifications may distract you. Now it has become very easy to disable these notifications if you have group policy editor.
Resolve Windows cannot Find Group Policy Management
From all of the above points, it is clear that group policy editor is a very useful tool to take full control over your PC. Another tool to manage the group editing is group policy management system which is an administration tool for the server for domain based network. If your Windows cannot find gpedit.msc on Windows 8.1 or in any other version, follow these procedures to resolve this issue.
Also Read:- How to Solve iTunes Error 7 Windows Error 193?
Install group policy editor tool
To install this tool in your Windows operating system manually, first of all, you need to download it by clicking the downloading link. After the downloading will complete, follow this procedure:-
For 32 bit operating system
- Unzip the file by using WinRAR or 7 Zip tool and extract it in a particular folder.
- Now go to the location and open folder where you need to run the setup.
- Following this procedure will automatically install the setup on your PC.
- After completing the process of installation, press Windows key + R alphabet to run group policy editor.
- Type “gpedit.msc” in the search bar and press enter to start it, that’s all.
Also Read:- Parse Error Pokemon Go; How to Resolve?
For 64 bit operating system
- Go the C:\ drive of Windows and open “SysWOW64” folder.
- You can see three files there as msc file, group policy user folder, and group policy folder
- Copy all three contents and go to C:\Windows\system32
- press ctrl+V to paste the files
- Now open the run command by pressing Windows + R key
- Type “gpedit.msc” and press enter, the group editor will start running.
These are the two effective methods to solve the issue. But sometimes, it may happen due to a little spelling mistake. If the error occurs as Windows cannot find gpedit msc, make sure that the spelling of command that you are going to enter must be correct.
Also Read:- How to Find and Use Degree Symbol on iPhone (°)
Windows is one of the popular operating systems for every kind of computers. You can perform a broad range of functions to simplify your daily life task through various software of Windows. If it has become a part of your daily life, then secure it as much as possible. Your PC contains a significant amount of data that needs proper security. The group policy editor is the best way to protect, but sometimes the group policy editor error on Windows 8 or 10 may interrupt due to several reasons.
To get rid of these types of problems, you need to install a third-party application of group policy editor from the internet. A downloading link to directly download this tool is already provided in this article. In the case of an error message Windows cannot find gpedit.msc group policy management, just open it and install to gain access to every kind of control over Windows functionality. You can restrict any other user manually from using USB drive, control panel or restriction on installation of any software without your permission. It is a very useful tool for security purpose if you are using a computer in suitable work space.